Shrimp Pesto Fettuccine
Updated: Dec 16, 2020
My years at Applebee's left me with a CRAP LOAD of my favorite menu items to let bounce around my brain for years and eventually when Pinterest didn't catch my eye, come up with some spin off of my own. I distinctly remember this one pasta dish that was such a hit and I can't believe that they ever did away with it, but they did, so here we are.
Shrimp pesto fettuccine. It was on their menu for a long, long time. I think I was in my late teen years and never had any interest in seafood so I never got to try this delicious medley first hand. About a month ago I FINALLY figured out my own Alfredo recipe. I know! But I always just bought a super expensive jar and didn't know how much better my life could be if I did the work and made my own. You can read all about that discovery in my post Spaghetti Squash Alfredo and Homemade Meatballs
I came across a packet of pesto mix in my pantry and thought to myself how have a never used this? We discussed not having tree nuts in the house. So, I made my Alfredo, made my pesto and then mixed that duo together to create chicken pesto fettuccine. Matt absolutely hates shrimp so I couldn't try the real deal, but it did the job for the night and my craving was satisfied, temporarily.
This time I made it for my mother and father in-law, they dig shrimp. I did my usual cooking and drinking wine and maybe spilled some in the shrimp (lol) but definitely did spill some lemon juice in there, can't skip that.
It was a breeze to throw together. Simple. Toss pasta in Alfredo. Take the portions you need from the newly tossed pasta and put into a mixing bowl. In small amounts add the warm pesto sauce until desired flavor. I like a lot, but not too pungent so, best to go easy. Nest your noodles into the bowl or plate. Top with sautéed shrimp, grated parmesan cheese and parsley. Voila! If you're feeling like carbs (who isn't?) (don't answer that and guilt me) homemade garlic bread on Italian is (Italy kissing sound) perfecto! Vino, please!
1 lb. fettuccine pasta
1 packet of pesto seasoning OR see next step for really simple pesto directions
1 lb. regular size shrimp (you don't need to get jumbo, but you can)
1 jar of Alfredo OR see following step for Alfredo recipe
1 TSP Herbes de Provence
1 TSP garlic powder
1 TBSP lemon juice
3 CUPS of fresh basil
1/2 CUP grated parmesan
1/4 CUP pine nuts
2 chopped garlic cloves
1/2 a juiced lemon
1/4 TSP salt
1/3 CUP olive oil
1 stick of butter
1 packet of cream cheese
2 CUPS whole milk OR 1 CUP 1% and 1 CUP half & half
2 cloves minced garlic
1 TSP Italian seasoning
1 TSP garlic powder
1/4 TSP salt & pepper
1 CUP grated parmesan
Make homemade pesto or pesto packet FIRST.
1. Put all ingredients into a food processor and blend for homemade
2. Follow packet instructions
1. Begin boiling a large pot of water
2. For home made pesto, pour into a small sauce pan, and heat on a low simmer to warm up (packet pesto will already be in a pan beginning to cook, per instructions)
3. In medium sized pot melt a stick of butter, cream cheese, and milk/heavy cream over medium heat, whisk until smooth.
4. Add to the Alfredo minced garlic, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper. Continue whisking.
5. Add parmesan cheese to Alfredo and simmer 3-5 minutes, or until it thickens, then keep warm whisking every 1-2 minutes.
6. Pasta water should be at rolling boil, follow box directions and salt. (8-10 minutes).
6. In skillet or larger pan, heat olive oil at medium-high.
7. Season shrimp with Herbes de Provence, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.
8. Toss shrimp into the pan, heat for 3-5 minutes, and keep them moving in there.
9. Drain pasta, toss in Alfredo sauce, add pesto to desired amount.
10. Nest pasta into bowl, or plate, top with shrimp, shredded parmesan cheese and parsley. Enjoy!